By Ashley Roe, Contributing Writer
My husband and I go through phases where we eat a lot of chicken. I buy the large packages of fresh chicken breasts whenever they go on sale so we tend to have at least a few pieces in the freezer. I like that it can be used so many different ways such as in soups, casseroles, sandwiches, stir fry and pastas. The possibilities are endless. It can even be prepared in many ways on it’s own; cooked and shredded, broiled, pan fried, oven baked, grilled.
My favorite way to eat chicken is definitely grilled. There is just something about marinating and grilling chicken that gives it the perfect flavor. My absolute favorite grilled chicken recipe is barbecue herb chicken but this fajita chicken takes a close second. It is especially great if you like a bit of a spicy flavor.
Typically fajitas are made by cooking strips of chicken in a pan on the stove. This is a bit different as the chicken is marinated and grilled before you cut it. If you don’t have a grill, you can broil the chicken or pan fry it, but the rest of the steps would remain the same.
A few notes about the recipe:
- The recipe calls for two tablespoons of taco seasoning. I use a homemade blend that I mix up to have on hand. If you don’t have any you can use a store bought taco or fajita seasoning or check out this recipe for homemade taco seasoning.
- You can use whatever kind of tortillas you like or even make your own which is actually quite easy to do.
- I prefer to top mine with a little shredded cheese and sour cream, but that is totally optional. You can also substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream (you really can’t tell the difference!).
- I serve these with beans and rice, a recipe that I created from items I had in my pantry that I now use whenever I make fajitas. I eat it as a side dish but my husband prefers to put some inside his tortilla.
- I always put a few diagonal slits into my chicken before marinating. This helps the marinade soak into the chicken more and gives you some nice grill marks too.
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Yield: 4-6 servings
Author: Ashley Roe | www.joyfulthriftyhome.com
- 4 tablespoons oil (canola or olive)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 small-medium bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4-6 medium size tortillas
- Combine the first four ingredients into a large, resealable plastic bag. Mix well. Add chicken and toss around to evenly coat each piece. Let sit in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Cover one side of your grill with tin foil and place the vegetables on top of the foil.
- Lightly brush oil on the other side of the grill to prevent sticking. Turn grill on to medium heat and allow to warm up for a few minutes. Place chicken on the oiled side of the grill. Cook for about 12-15 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches 165°), turning halfway through.
- While chicken is cooking, periodically toss the peppers and onions to ensure even cooking. Cook the vegetables until they are done to your preference.
- Let chicken rest for a few minutes then cut into slices.
- Fill each tortilla with desired amount of peppers, onions and any other toppings.