The next few episodes here on the podcast are going to be a mini-series. We are going to be discussing Spiritual Disciplines for busy homemakers. To kick off the series, we are going to first discuss a vitally important discipline: daily Bible reading!
In certain seasons and stages of life, finding the time to read the Bible is really tough. There are so many things clamoring for our attention day in and day out that it is so easy to let Bible reading go during these difficult seasons. But, daily intake of God’s Word is essential to our lives as Christians.
In this episode we cover how to find the time for daily Bible reading, samples of different Bible reading plans, tips, and resources for more!
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How to set up a morning routine + my goals for 2016
- Why daily Bible reading is so important
- Suggestions for how to fit Bible reading into a busy schedule
- Apps and technology to help with your Bible study/reading
- 4 excellent books for learning more
[Tweet “”Whatever we focus our hearts on first in the morning will shape our entire day” -@desiringGod”]
Links & Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Find out all the details of our Make Over Your Mornings challenge!
- Make Over Your Mornings eCourse
- My 2016 Word of the Year: JOY!
- Book Recommendation: Women Living Well by Courtney Joseph
- Book Recommendation: Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
- Book Recommendation: Women of the Word by Jen Wilken
- Six Wrong Reasons To Check Your Phone in the Morning by Desiring God Blog
- Book Recommendation: How to Study the Bible by John MacArthur
- YouVersion Bible App
- She Reads Truth App
- He Reads Truth App
- Homemaking Foundations Podcast on iTunes
- Sign up for my weekly podcast emails
Book of the Week:
Women Living Well by Courtney Joseph
This book was a total surprise for me! I had no idea what to expect from this book, and to be honest, I wasn’t expecting a lot. I don’t know why. The title just seemed so vague and I think I was expecting it to be fluffy and not full of a ton of solid content. But boy was I wrong! This was one of my favorite books I’ve read this year!
The tag line is Finding Your Joy in God, Your Man, Your Kids, and Your Home. Every homemaker should read this book at some point! The book is broken into 4 main parts: Your walk with God, your marriage, your parenting and your homemaking. In every section I felt encouraged and also convicted about how I spend my time, respond to my husband, respond to me kids, and more. If you are looking for a good book on Biblical Womanhood, then I highly recommend you get a copy of Women Living Well!
“I would like to believe that the Proverbs 31 woman may not have enjoyed every second of spinning her thread. It was mundane, hard work. In the same way, we may not enjoy every minute of cleaning toilets or folding underwear, but I think we all will admit that we love the feel of clean sheets on the bed, fresh towels in the bathroom, bathed babies in clean pajamas, and a warm meal on The result of our hard work is a blessing to everyone how enters our home.” – Women Living Well, page 171
Thanks for Listening!