In this episode, Jami gives her top tips, tricks, and encouragement for holidays and hospitality. Listen in!
Listen to the Podcast:
“Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.” ~ Romans 12:13
“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” ~ Hebrews 13:2
“Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.” ~ 1 Peter 4:9
“Hospitality from a Biblical perspective is to recognize that God is more interested in caring relationships than the mold behind the shower curtain…It need not matter if we live in a single-room apartment or a split-level ranch, the only real requirement is allowing God to use our lives and our possessions…Our homes and our lives are indeed the most powerful combination of ministry to our world.” ~ Hospitality with Confidence, Pg 9
2) In the hustle and bustle of this season, my primary focus right now, is my own immediate family.
We all have different seasons. I’ve had seasons where my focus wasn’t as much for my own immediate home, but how I could serve others. I once hosted Thanksgiving for my entire extended family and I cooked 100% of everything and took care of all the details. It was the right thing for that season and my heart was one of service.
That would not be the right call for this Thanksgiving. If someone asked me to do a big giant thing of service next week, I would have to graciously decline. and to be okay with that!
3) Some tools that make hospitality a little easier:
REAL sturdy paper plates and bowls. Or start to invest in real bowls and dishes.
Cold drink container – 5-gallon one at Walmart for $14.99!
Crockpot with a locking lid
4) The real key and secret to hospitality: Is that often, the fancier, more expensive, nicer-looking option is less practical.
I don’t think hospitality is just about being practical. I think there can be immense beauty in hospitality and I love baking bread from scratch for having people over. But we can also get so hung up on how nice or fancy it is, that we make it less ideal.
when you have a group of 50 people over, function takes precedence because otherwise, it just doesn’t work out as well.
5) If you are overwhelmed, work on your food.
I find this to be the #1 place where people get overwhelmed. Yes, the cleaning can feel overwhelming. But it’s the food that really makes people get stuck.
Come up with a list of 2-3 different meals that are your go-to hospitality. One of mine is homemade rolls and soup. I can whip this together in no time and is always a crowd pleaser.
Homemade cinnamon rolls and homemade chocolate cake have become a specialty of mine that I’ve perfected over the years.
If you don’t have any menus in mind, start trying some ideas out for your family. Practice these meals a couple of times and suddenly, the food feels like no big deal!
Links and Resources:
- Join our private community to chat about this podcast episode: FindingJoyCommunity.com
- Watch the podcast on YouTube if you want! Finding Joy in Your Home on YouTube
- Join Lisa’s Holiday Blitz here: https://organize365.com/
- Get your Homemaker’s Friend Daily Planner at: https://homemakersfriend.com/ and use coupon code: PLANNING to get $3 off!!
- Our Christmas shop opening is now through Dec. 1st. Check it out at: https://findingjoybookstore.
- Our Sponsor: Go to HelloFresh.com/homemakingfree and use code homemakingfree for FREE breakfast for life! One breakfast item per box while subscription is active.
- Our Sponsor: Get Up to 50% OFF @honeylove by going to honeylove.com/HOME!