Hf #015: Learning the Art of Self-Discipline as a Homemaker
The things in life that are worth pursuing – your faith, a Christ-Centered marriage, faithful parenting, homemaking, and the other things that really matter – take hard work, determination, and lots of self-discipline. In this episode we discuss the art of self discipline, why it’s so important, and how we can cultivate it within our own lives.
Discipline is perhaps my greatest struggle when it comes to being an efficient homemaker and Christ-follower. I deeply lack self-discipline and it comes back to bite me again and again. The largest lesson I’ve had to learn in my life, is how to be self-disciplined so I can effectively and efficiently run my household. – And I’m continually learning this lesson.
In last week’s episode we talked about how to dream and set goals for your life and homemaking. And then we took those goals and broke them down step by step to make realistic actionable goals. And this is all fine and well, but what do we do once these goals and dreams are written down on paper? What do we do with our daily and weekly routines and schedules? Getting them written down is the first step, but where do we go from there? Let’s dive into today’s episode to find out!
Right click here and save-as to download this episode to your computer.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The importance of self-discipline
- What our first step in cultivating self discipline must be
- How this relates to gaining control of your home
- How to build an effective morning routine
- The key to forming lasting habits within your life and homemaking
[Tweet “In an effort to seek self-discipline, your journey must first begin at the feet of Jesus.”]
Links & Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Hf #14: Dreaming & Planning in Your Homemaking
- Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine
- Freezer meals:
- Freezer Waffles – I make these all the time! So nice to have these in the freezer for busy Sunday mornings!
- Freezer friendly breakfast burritos – I make these as a quick breakfast for Jason
- 8 make ahead breakfast ideas
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
- Free 30 Day Trial of Audible (2 free audiobooks included!)
- Homemaking Foundations Podcast on iTunes
- Sign up for my weekly podcast emails
Book of the Week
I actually stumbled upon this book in a thrift store one day. And while I’m not one to just pick up any random book that calls itself “christian” because I think you could end up with some very bad (or false) teaching by doing that – I was familiar with and really respected many of the pastors who gave endorsements on the back cover. So on a $2.00 whim I decided to get it and try it out (even though it looked really boring from the cover) and fell in love with it right away. I am now on my second time reading through it and I know it won’t be my last. It covers all the spiritual disciplines that we should be practicing such as prayer, Bible reading time, Scripture memorization, serving, giving, and more! It’s a perfect blend of theology and practical advice for actually practicing these disciplines.
And for the last few months, Jason and I have been picking an audio book that we listen to “together”. He listens to it on his rather long commute to work and I listen to it in the nooks and crannies of my day – making breakfast, folding laundry, driving, etc. – and we discuss the books together. Over the summer, one of the books we chose we this one. It was the first time Jason read this book and he loved it! We got the audio book through Audible (an Amazon company). If you sign up for a free 30 day trial of Audible, you will actually get TWO free audiobooks of your choice including this one if you want or any other two books.
Thanks for Listening!