In this episode, Jami reviews her year and gives lots of good advice and encouragement. Listen in!
Listen to the Podcast:
I am in planning mode. Okay, I’m actually in thinking mode. I haven’t put anything down to paper yet but my brain has been going.
The New Year is the perfect time to jump into new habits and new routines, but not just because it’s the start of a brand new year. It’s a perfect time because November and December seem to FLY! I am excited about the fall starting, new school routines, pumpkin everything, and BAM! It’s January 5th.
January has historically still been a very busy month for us with our business and jumping back into good school routines. But it’s also a great time for fresh starts, new habits, and more margin.
So as I start to think through my goals, which I have not solidified yet, I thought it would be helpful to walk you through my beginning steps in brainstorming these goals.
Today you are going to get to do my year-end review with me.
- Look back over the goals you set last year: I had a lot of household goals.
- Gardening: Figure out planting onions and potatoes. And do a Fall and real winter garden. 2022 goal: Learn how to grow my garden from seeds. 2024: I need to plan something to add.
- Preserving more food this year. In 2022 I did a ton of stuff. I had wanted to do more preserving.
- Making more homemade household use items: Laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, etc.
- Getting household routines more smooth! Cleaning routines, better chore routines for kids, smoother routines overall.
- Conquer whole-grain sourdough
What went well this year?
- We have grown tremendously in trusting the Lord. This year largely didn’t shape up the way we thought and yet, God is so good and my trust in him has deepened 10-fold this year.
- Our health: Jason and I have been smashing it when it comes to taking care of our health. We are building REAL exercise routines that are becoming HABIT.
- Our school routines since August have been the best we’ve ever had.
What didn’t go well:
- our life, household, work, and school routines were so hard and so off the first half of this year. Part of that was me trying to find my rythym again after having a baby and part of it was just living through survival mode the first 6 months of the year.
What did I do well in serving and loving my people this year?
- We had a lot of good, food centered gatherings and get togethers. I did well in making those things happen even when time was short.
what can I improve on in serving and loving my people this year?
- I need to continue working on my patience. When 1000 balls are in the air, I need to continue choosing patience, kindness and love, even when I’m tired, stressed, or having a hard day.
Other questions to ask:
What changes did you navigate well this year?
What limitations or circumstances did you have to work through?
What is an ah-ha moment you had?
What new skills or knowledge did you aquire this year?
What were 3 highlights from this year?
What did you accomplish this year that you’re most proud of?
What (and/or who) are you most thankful for this year?
I encourage you to think over these things the next 2 weeks. When you’re wrapping presents, stuck in traffic, think through these questions. Just let your mind ruminate over them. You don’t need full answers yet. But if you start thinking through these, you’ll start to form ideas so that when you sit down to write out your goals, you’ll be a step ahead!
I also think this an important step, because 12 months is a long time. There are things we forget, things we accomplished, that we are not thinking of so many months later. it’s easy to focus on our present hardships that need to change and we forget all the growth we did over the year. I have so many things I want to work on and change right now, but I’ve also come SO far since January 1st. I want to celebrate that!
Links and Resources:
- Join our private community to chat about this podcast episode: FindingJoyCommunity.com
- Watch the podcast on YouTube if you want! Finding Joy in Your Home on YouTube
- Our Sponsor: Head to moshlife.com/HOME to save 20% off plus FREE shipping on your first 6-count Trial Pack!
- Our Sponsor: Go to HelloFresh.com/homemakingfree and use code homemakingfree for FREE breakfast for life!