All month long here at Young Wife’s Guide we have been celebrating with all our Autumn favorites from crockpot pumpkin spice lattes to whole wheat cinnamon rolls. This month has been jam packed with lots of yummy fall favorites.
Today I want to share my husbands favorite dessert: Apple Pie! He loves it and always begs me to make it.
The Perfect Apple Pie
2 Pounds Mcintosh apples (4-6)
1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples (3-4)
3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 double crust pie dough. You can make your own or buy store bought But you need a crust for the bottom and the top!
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1) Place a baking sheet on the lowest rack of your oven and preheat to 500 F.
2) Peel, core, and chop the apples up.
3) Toss the chopped apples, with 3/4 cup sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and spices. Set aside for later.
4) Place the bottom crust in your pie dish and pile the apples inside it. You can make them into a little mound.
5) Put the top crust over the apples and seal the edges of the top and bottom crust together. I cut out a cute little leaf but you don’t have to do that 🙂 But cut 4 vent holes in the top.
6) Brush the crust with egg whites and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of sugar over the top.
7) Lower the oven temperature to 425 and place the pie on the baking sheet. Bake until the top crust is golden brown (about 25 minutes).
8) Rotate the baking sheet and lower the temperature to 375. Bake until the the juices are bubbling and the crust is a nice deep golden brown (30-35 more minutes).
Apple pie is all I have made this year but I am itching to make some other pies this year like blackberry and pumpkin! Check out all my Autumn Favorite recipes!
*Don’t forget to check out the Healthy Living eBook Bundle sale going on this week only!! $29 for $300 worth of Real Food Books and Products! This is a great sale that ends November 3rd!*